Vivi - Tales of the 8th Design (Part 1)

So... Vivi. That bunny girl OC I drew occasionally, and often times commissioned artists to draw her. Now, I'm not here to recap on the whole Vivi history and everything like that, but I will recap the history of V6 & V7.


RECAP: The 6th & 7th Design.

Version 6 of Vivi I decided to give her a total overhaul for the better. Version 5 is more of a weird lanky human with pale skin and rabbit ears & tail, so I changed the whole look by giving her more rabbit features, a new outfit, and more colors.

Left: Version 5 (the 3D piece), Right: Version 6 (The overhaul)

I have updated the V6 design, thrice. One is an updated ref sheet based on the 3D model, 6.3 changed her hair,simplify the cheeks, and update the outfit with a t-shirt & shorts. 6.5 is the turning point from V6 & V7, as she is bulkier, meant to make the 3D process easier.

Version 6 evolution

Version 7 is a metamorphosed evolution of V6, but V7 updates the design a little further by giving her more vibrant colors, shaper ears, and shortening her hair.

Version 7 ref sheet.

Even though I made the piece, I didn't made the 3D model. Well, there was an attempt, but gave up during the Mannequin phase. Version 6.3 & 6.5 I also attempted to make a model, but that too didn't go through. I think 6.5 went the furthest as I got the eyes down, but stopped once I implemented her hair. 

What's left of the 3D design.

Another thing I didn't do much is make art with the reference I made. I've only made several sketches, the Cinderace cosplay, the one with Bunshee's OC, and the Holiday one. 

Oh, and this pixel art piece I used the V6 model as reference.

I didn't drew her a proper piece in any of her alternate attires, let alone the main one. However, V7 is the only one that I commissioned more of her than I did with the previous designs. Check the Commission Den for those. I dubbed V7 the "Commission Design" because I did used the commissions from the V6 phase to design V7, and used that to make commissions. Yeah, kinda wild.

Anyways, I decided to redesign Vivi, again, for the EIGHTH TIME.


PHASE ONE: The design.

The first thing I start designing her is to incorporate a face. I used the V7 design as a base, and made some changes... Notably her hairstyle will be a little shorter (above shoulder-length).

Style A (this was a suggested look from some friends on Discord).

Style B (to me, that looks a little too "Gwen Tennyson" to me).

Style C (a more symmetrical look, with the lower bangs based off her fluff)

Style D (I literally ripped off Cube's haircut from Jet Set Radio).

Style E (A close one, but that bang looked too goofy).

Style F (The one I used).

Space buns (A joke choice)


Since I made up my choice, the next thing is body. In previous designs, she went from stick figure, lanky as hell, a skinny hourglass body, and now... A little thicker in design. It's supposed to be a beanpole body, but I think I made her bodytype a pear.

Version 8 ref sheet (rough). Oh, and please ignore the doodle of Claptrap at the corner.

Don't worry about the hands on that one, that'll be corrected once I did the model. She still has her tail (now frilled), her triangular ears (now with earrings), and yes she still has her tramp stamp above her tail.

So I did carry some elements over from the 7th design, and one major piece is which I dubbed the eponymous "VivDolls." VivDolls are in layman's terms: Rough design plans for Vivi's outfits. Yeah, that's it... And they're quite effective during the design phase.

Version 8's VivDolls.

Many of the V7 outfits are carried + updated over, and some of the V8 ones are new. The top row are the casual outfits I would draw (or commission), while the set below are the special ones. Oh BTW, Vivi's a huge Nine Inch Nails fan. Honestly, the clothes are the more easier aspects. So for now I made these 4 outfits +1 variant. I didn't made the shoes, let alone the helmet (though that helm I will deal later).

Autumn Casuals.

Summer Casuals (main outfit)

Mace Casual (with buttoned shirt)

Mace Casual (without buttoned shirt)

Rider outfit (Without helmet)

Another thing I did update is the color palette. No, not just Vivi, but the very colors themselves. They're restricted to 32 shades per color channel. In Hex terms: That's only 0's and 8's. So for example, her pupils in RGB is 96, 8, 32, but in Hex it's #600820. This means that full white (#FFFFFF) is 8 shades less (#F8F8F8). So for example: If her motorcycle pants are #1e232f, then it rounds up to #202030. A slight change in shades, but hardly noticeable.

Since that's all for now, I'll eventually tell you about the modelling phase. Boy, it will be a doozy.



Comments